Events fishing categories are pretty easy. Everything is based on Barb-less, single hook and Catch and Release only. You must obey the laws of NYS DEC, and also respect private land. We strongly encourage asking permission when in doubt. All winning fish must have a photo of the fish and this years Trout Power easy measurement tool. We also encourage that your partner is present. Measurement Tool will be handed out on June 6th at the Alamo and must be returned, or can be purchased for $10.00.
Sign up Now
Fishing starts on Saturday at 15 minutes before sunrise, and ends at 2:00. Award Ceremony and celebration to follow at 3:30.
We have multiple categories this year. Min Age to Participate is 10 years old. Anyone under 16 must have an adult as a partner.
- Longest Trout in trophy section caught on the fly, length based on inches. $500.00
- Smallest Trout in West Canada Creek, documented $600.00
- Longest Trout caught in Cincinnati Creek, fly or spin, between rte 28 Barneveld to West Canada Creek $500.00
- Tributary study, non competitive. Receive a log book and Trout Power Merchandise and have fun for the day exploring one of the 64 West Canada Tributaries. Make sure you ask permission from land owners. We kindly ask that fish are documented with photos in the easy care trout power measurement tool. We are looking for wild Brook Trout and Wild Brown Trout. Help us "make a memory" and celebrate with us after the event.
- General Study, non competitive: Many people just want to fish and have fun and get some cool special edition Trout Power Garb... and we are all for that. With this package you get a log book, some cool Trout Power Garb, and a fun day on the water. Our intent is still to document small fish. We are anxiously looking for evidence of spawning fish, so any fish caught less then 6 inches with no fin clippings, and in pristine shape is a trophy.
What is a Creel Study? A creel study is a way that we can collect data on what is going on with the creek.
In 2012 our focus was on comparing the upper stretch of the Creek or the Trophy Section and the lower section. We were looking for populations of fish. What we found was that because the creel study targeted most inches, tactics were used to just catch any fish. We learned that our stream is healthy, but is mostly a put and take fishery, meaning nearly all the fish caught were stocked. This was determined by the DEC and Trout Power. In 2013 we were looking for large fish that are able to spawn in both the trophy section and below the trophy section. What we saw was that the average trophy fish in the regulated catch and release section is over 16 inches, and in the section where you can keep fish a 16" fish was considered a trophy.
In 2014 we begin to look at the tributaries. What we consider the gems or golden threads of the eco system. Chances are with water being regulated by a dam that makes hydro power, the cold water refuge and possible spawning grounds is in the tributaries. Brown trout and brook trout spawn in the fall, so a spring study is a good time to document fish without harming possible spawning habitat. It also is a great time to pick up trash from the spring flood.
Some additional rules and suggestions.
Please encourage good sportsmanship, especially between fly anglers and conventional anglers. The last 2 years everyone has gotten along great, and we expect the same in 2014.
Please consider bringing a garbage bag and pick up used bait containers and cans that disrespectful users of the creek leave behind. Leave the river better then you found it is our mantra.
It is not necessary to photograph each fish, however it is required to photograph a fish if you are in a length wins category. Make sure to log every fish in your log book.
We strongly encourage fun pictures. Trout Power is a fun time, help share your fun.
Log Books and photos will be collected on Saturday afternoon. The best way to transfer photos is with an SD card. Do not text photos.
Check in will be Friday evening at the Alamo on Rte 28 in Poland, NY. Please stay and support our local business and have fun with us.
Use the honor system, this is a fun event and is not aimed at competition it is aimed at enjoying fishing with your partner and having fun with fellow anglers.
We also are looking for volunteers to police and help anglers. Please email email@example.com if you are interested.
rules subject to be updated with notice, Sponsors please contact us if you can add prizes.
With your purchase of your Trout Power admission you will receive:
2 trout power maps
2 trout power log books
2 trout power easy measure tools, please return after event
2 trout power baseball caps (not included for non-competitive)
JP Ross, Trout Power Manager.