Thank you to Morgan Lyle

People do not realize that Trout Power started as a little guppy many many years ago when Morgan Lyle and myself and a few other guys from the shop started the Fly Fishers Anglers Association.  Today the FFAA is still kicking but not nearly as active as it used to be.  The FFAA started a program called bucks for browns back in 2000 and we raised money to stock big fish in the West Canada Trophy Section.  It turned out that those hundreds of trophy trout aided to the already strong population of fish and we had probably the best few seasons of fishing this river had ever seen.  Morgan Lyle was the guy that organized that and started the big initiative on the West Canada, Dominick Greico, Bob Poe, myself, Mitch Marsden, Ton Traverna, Dick Kiel, Al Cohen, Gene Kaczor, Jim Shamis, Gary Bartell, Kim Ernst and many others later were leaders of the FFAA and helped us grow. 

Below is an excerpt  from Morgan Lyle one of our founders.  I would like to share it with all of you.


I began fishing West Canada Creek in the 1990s, when I lived 90 miles away. I never hesitated to make the drive – the fishing and the beauty of the area were well worth it. Eventually, my family and I had the opportunity to live and work in Central New York for a few years, and I spent many happy evenings fishing alongside some great people.

I was a founding member of the Fly Fisher’s Anglers Association and served as president for a time. It was inspiring to see the dedication of volunteers who raised money for supplemental stockings of tagged trout, advocated for catch-and-release regulations in the “trophy water” and otherwise practiced the finest kind of stewardship of the creek.

So it’s no surprise to see the tremendous support from the community for Trout Power.  Central New Yorkers are proud of their community, and rightly so. It’s a fine place to live and a delight to visit. For one thing, it’s an angler’s paradise; the West Canada is an exceptional trout stream, and there are also lots of other places to fish, too. But fishing’s not the only thing to do. Hiking, cycling, camping, antiquing, cross leaf-peeping, country skiing, all in a storybook country setting -- I can’t imagine that anyone would fail to be charmed by the Kuyahoora Valley.

I live some distance away now, and seldom find myself in Oneida or Herimer counties these days. My last West Canada trout came at the Power Line pool on a cold, grey day in October 2003, shortly before my family relocated to Long Island. It was going to be my last outing on the creek before we moved, and it was starting to look like I’d get skunked. Then, as my woolly bugger swung below me, I felt a jolting strike and the pull of a heavy fish. It was one of those FFAA browns, with a tag in its mouth.

I don’t remember the number on the tag, but I don’t think I’ll ever forget the fish. Congratulations to Jordan Ross, Angela Moonan and all the residents and businesses who are making the inaugural Trout Power a big success.

Morgan Lyle

Comments

Popular Posts